Thursday, February 05, 2009

Rails and Tales

Have you ever wished for a day that didn't end? That's what Sunday was like for me. I mean, think about it...trains rides, story time, music, new friends, blue skies and sunshine...what more could a kid want? (Except maybe a brand new Speed Racer helmet, but Mom says that's a little off-topic, so just forget I even mentioned it).

I have to say that Mom and Dad's re-introduction of StoryTunes to the public was a big success. Tons of people came out to Wilson Park to ride the rails of Southern California Live Steamers and to sing along to some pretty cool train songs and stories. This here computer savvy train fan checked out their website and found that they had 1,966 passengers on Sunday! Of course, I think that includes the folks who hop back in line again (and again) for more free rides. I guess that means they counted me four times. Me and Papa are gonna have to look into some kind of frequent rider program.

Anyhow, even though they're my parents, I have to give Mom and Dad the proper credit...they really rocked it. They had all these kids out there singin' "Down By the Station" and shakin' their cabooses (so to speak). Heck, I'm the hardest to impress, and even I didn't get tired of reading along with "Clickety Clack" after three performances.

And from all the smiling faces I saw that day, I think it's safe to say everyone had a great time. Mom said she even talked to someone from the Lomita Train Museum and some kindergarten teachers who want us to come do StoryTunes shows for them! Hmmm...I might have to invest in a second set of train pants if we're gonna take this show on the road.

Our day in the park ended on a high note when I finally got my hands on some ice cream from the ice cream truck that had been sitting in the parking lot, taunting me all day. When Mom took me to the truck to choose an ice cream, it was a little overwhelming. I mean, there's all these pictures of Spongebob, Spiderman and all kinds of colorful sweet treats. I settled on a Dora ice cream, which Mom seemed pretty pleased with. Until she opened it and found out that Dora's eyes were made of black gumballs. And she said it didn't help matters that I was spending more time looking at Dora than eating, so most of her ended up melted all over me and my train pants. But you didn't hear me complaining.

I was pretty sad when we packed up to leave for the day. Who likes having to say goodbye to friends and fun times? But later Mom said that the train club liked us so much, we get to go back once a month! Talk about good news. After hearing that, I didn't even care anymore about not getting a new Speed Racer helmet. (Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to mention that...)

Helmet? What helmet? (Just play along, Mom's watching). I don't know anything about a helmet. Now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta wash my train pants and polish up my singing voice. Being part of a famous storytelling team isn't easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that was an amazing day...i could not believe the number of people who were there! still can't.
what a blessed family we are.
zaya...what a dream come true for the little engineer....and us.