Sunday, July 24, 2005

Whose-story?

Today I did something new. Mom, Dad, Uncle Reuben, Nana and Papa took me on a walking tour (or for me, a rolling tour) of historical downtown Torrance. We started out our tour at the museum of the Torrance Historical Society. To the right, you'll see me with a bust of Jared Sydney Torrance. Then again, according to our tour guide Mike, there really aren't any existing photos of Mr. Torrance, so this could just be a bust of the guy who made the bust.

I did learn a lot. I found out where the names of the streets in our neighborhood came from. I learned about all of the different styles of homes in the area. And I learned that eight blocks is a lot longer than it sounds.

Here are some more pictures of our educational afternoon.

That's Mike, the tour guide. Sorry, I mean docent. He's on the board of directors of the Torrance Historical Society, works for the Torrance Public Library System, but lives in Gardena. I don't get it either.

Here is a mural by some famous guy who did murals all over Los Angeles of some not-so-famous people. This was painted in what Mom called "the seventies." Not sure what that means, but I did notice the people in the mural were dressed kinda funny.
Across the street over there is a cool plaque marking the original place where Torrance Memorial Hospital stood. My ears perked up during this part of the tour because I was born at the current Torrance Memorial. And none of this really means anything because you're only admiring my big toothy smile anyway.

I can't even tell you what I was looking at in this picture. But it was something. And I wanted to go get it.







What I really learned was that taking tours is exhausting. I'll probably appreciate this sort of thing a lot more as I get older. Mom and Dad thought it was really neat to find out what the city was like in 1921 when it began. I thought it was really neat to go home and take a nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are one smart kid. I am only looking at you--all the time.