Monday, October 31, 2005

Last post in the fish costume, I swear

Well, I made it home in one piece. And I have to say this whole Halloween thing was a lot of fun. Tonight Grandma Aida and Auntie Rachel came over to go trick-or-treating with me. Thankfully Auntie wore a costume too, so she collected candy for both of us. Yes, I am aware that I don't eat candy, but that's beside the point where trick-or-treating is concerned. You all know as well as I do that it's a competition. At the end of the night, the one with the most candy wins, and I'm not about to sit this one out.

We started off paying a visit to our neighbors, then headed over to Old Town Torrance. For those of you devoted readers of Planet Zaya, you'll remember we took a walking tour down Old Post Road not long ago. These houses there were decorated with ghosts, skeletons, orange and purple lights and yes, jack-o-lanterns. I have to give these folks a nod for their carving skills, but I think a moment of silence is in order for the poor pumpkins who gave their lives for the sake of holiday decor.

While going door-to-door, all of the people handing out candy were very nice. And apparently this Nemo guy is one popular fish because everyone was excited to see me. Even other kids were saying I was cute. And we saw lots of kids in some very interesting costumes. But from my first trick-or-treat experience, I believe there should be some standard regulations. So I've come up with my own list of Halloween do's and don'ts:
1. Have some respect for the little guy. Just because you CAN cut across the grass doesn't mean you SHOULD.
2. Wearing your pajamas is not a costume.
3. Wearing your work uniform is not a costume.
3a. In fact, if you're old enough to work, you're too old for trick-or-treating.
4. The buddy system is good, but if your trick-or-tr
eat group is too big to fit on a porch, consider breaking up into smaller groups.
5. Take a hint: if the porch light is off and you've waited a few seconds after ringing the bell, move on. Handing out candy is a nice gesture, not a requirement.
6. If your bag is full, go home.

I think my rules would make for a very pleasant and efficient Halloween experience. I'll have to do a little marketing before next October.

Anyhow, after the hunt for candy, we took a drive over to visit Nana and Papa and then headed to what Mom called The Great Pumpkin. You drive into this refinery where they have a big tank painted to look like a real pumpkin. I have much respect for this idea because no pumpkins were harmed in the process. There's music playing and nice people in costumes throwing bags of caramel corn into your car. And it's free! Reading this back I realize this sounds very strange, but it's cool, trust me. Granted I can't eat caramel corn yet either, but I have to give credit for good effort.

I came home from a fruitful Halloween with candy in my bag and a smile on my face. But I do have a request for the parents.

Next year, no tights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isaiah is a brilliant comedian....
His blog needs to be a book! Yes, Yes, YES!