Sunday, October 23, 2005

Preemies Unite

Last year around this time, I was hangin' out in the NICU, getting annoyed with all the wires hooked to my body and the tube in my nose. Thankfully, this year was way different. As official graduates of the NICU, Trenton and I were invited to attend their 27th Annual Reunion.

I have to admit I was excited when I first heard about this party. I knew it would be pretty neat to meet all the other super babies who started out so tiny and grew up big and strong. And yes, I MAY have wanted to show off a little. But my dreams faded a bit when Mom and Dad put me in a fish costume (against my will, I might add). I mean, sure he's a cute Disney fish, but still. I had to wear tights, I think that says it all.

When I had worked through my feelings of humiliation, Mom, Dad and I along with Trenton and his Mom headed to the party. As soon as we got close to Torrance Memorial, we saw tons of kids in costume on their way as well. When we got inside, there were lots of families and kids of all ages. It was pretty cool. We even ran into a new friend, Max, with his mom. Max and Trenton were both in super hero costumes, which brought back a little of my fish anxiety, but I got over it quickly. I make a darn cute fish, if I do say so myself.

We arrived just in time for a special trick show with Chloe the wonder dog. She's a therapy dog that visit the patients in the hospital to cheer them up. Chloe is a very smart dog. She even jumped through hoops...literally!

Right after Chloe's performance, we watched this guy blowing bubbles. Not your standard bubbles, big ones and small ones and others as tall as people. The guy was a little goofy, but the bubbles were kinda cool. But by this time I was getting tired of sitting in the stroller, so Mom and I went around the room to say hi to some of our nurse friends who I hadn't seen since last year.

When we heard the announcement for the crawling races, I knew I had this one in the bag. But when the lady in the Tigger costume yelled, "ready, set, go," I just froze. One might say that it was all those people standing around, making me nervous. But I prefer to say that it was just my gentlemanly nature, letting little Gigi win. And apparently the chivalry worked because just as she approached the finish line, Gigi turned right around and came back to say hi to me. She couldn't resist, and who could blame her. While the two of us were preoccupied, another little boy sped past and won the race.

I was a little bummed out after that loss and Trenton was getting tired, so we decided to head home. On the way out, we each got a new teddy bear and a video. I tell you, that NICU staff not only knows how to take good care of us preemies, they also throw a great party.

Next year, look out toddler race, cuz I'll be ready for you. Gigi or no Gigi.

No comments: