Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008 was great, but 2009 is mine!

Happy New Year, everyone! Wow, what a year. 2008 deserved to be closed out in style, and that's just what I did.

After Mom came home from work on New Year's Eve, I spent the day with the parents. We took a trip to Vons to stock up on some things. That's where I was introduced to this magical stuff. Mom kept calling it "apple cider" but I'm a smart cookie. Anything that comes in a fancy bottle like that has got to be a toasting drink, which could mean only one thing...PAR-TAY! (The chips and salsa were also a dead giveaway).

When we got home, Dad cooked up some of his famous chicken tacos and we sat down to eat. I guess the tacos are more famous than I realized cuz just a minute later the neighbors were knockin' on the door. Amy and Becky came over to invite us to their New Year's Eve party. So after finishing dinner, Mom and I went next door, where I was greeted by a dozen or so young, fun-loving party-goers and a "Happy Anniversary" banner hanging in the dining room. (Yeah, don't ask. I didn't get it either). We hung out there for awhile, long enough for me to snap up some of the party fun on my new digital camera. I caught Amy with a lime in her mouth and Mom eating a little cup of jello. When I tried to get in on that action, I was informed that this was jello for "big people." Whatever that means.

Mom and I said our goodbyes at the party and headed back home. Dad said we should get comfortable and watch some of the parties on TV. Apparently this New Year's Eve thing is a big deal because it was like a different party on every channel. So we all got into our jammies and robes and danced (and snacked) the night away. Mom thought for sure I'd fall asleep during the party fun, but I couldn't go out like that. When it was almost midnight, Dad poured us each a glass of Martinellis and I closed out the year with one of my well-known "Dear Friends" toasts.

The next morning I didn't exactly wake up gracefully, but Dad made sure I was in the living room just in time to watch the Rose Parade. We ate breakfast and lounged around until it was time to head to Papa's house for a taste test of the family's first attempt at deep-fried turkey. Then I put on my USC football gear and hopped into my new big-boy booster seat and we were off.

When we got to Papa's house, the turkey goodness was right there waiting for me. Papa was finishing up the carving and Uncle Chaka was sampling the turkey in his own special way. I knew when I saw Dad tearing into it that the fried turkey experiment must have been a success.

A day with no agenda, that's exactly what New Year's Day should be. Eating, laughing, talking to old friends, playing video games, watching the Trojans beat Penn State, remembering all the great things that happened in the year. Who could ask for more than that? Just before I fell into my New Year's Day nap, I overheard Papa talking on the phone to relatives in Oklahoma, telling them about my acting debut in 2008. And I remembered again what a lucky guy I am.

When I woke from my nap all fresh and recharged, Mom, Dad and I went home. Christmas brought me lots of toys to play with and new DVD's to watch, so home is a pretty cool place to be. Not to mention that Dad frequently breaks into song on his piano or guitar, and I can't resist joining in. We teamed up for a powerful performance of "Pure Imagination" before going to bed.

I can see why people get sentimental around this time of year. It's amazing to think about how much can happen in a year. The good stuff, and even the mistakes. But today reminded me that we should be excited because 2009 promises to bring much more. So raise your glass of toasting drink, your cup of jello, or whatever you happen to have nearby, and smile as you toast the new year. Here's a tip...it's always good to start with, "Dear Friends."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amazing blog, zayameister! grannie cannot improve on this--! thank God for another year! Amen.