Monday, January 05, 2009

"Tee" and Cookies

The Christmas joy continues to spill over into the new year for me. Especially because I'm still breaking out gifts for the first time. Today the weather was nice so Mom and I headed to the backyard to try out my new bat and tee (courtesy of Uncle Craig and Auntie Christine). After Mom was done fumbling with putting the thing together (I thought grown-ups were supposed to know how to do this stuff?), I turned into Zaya the tee ball machine!

For the most part, I'm pretty focused when it comes to sports. I like taking a serious approach to the game. That is, of course, until I find out how fun it is to be a little reckless. Like today, after I had hit all eight of the balls out into the yard, I had to go pick them up and bring 'em back. What a chore. Until I realized how fun it is to kick them back or throw them really hard. Dad says I've got quite a pitching arm.

After tee ball practice, Mom and I went across the street to see the girl. I mean, I just found out she has a name...Amanda. But for the past couple of years she's just been "the girl" to me. Every time I look out the window, or come home and climb out of the car, I'm always trying to get Mom to let me go see "the girl." Until a few days ago, the answer was always no. I don't care that she's in high school, I'm positive she wants to play with me. Thankfully Mom and the girl's dad struck up a business conversation the other day, so that got my foot in the door. Then last night when Mom and I made our last batch of sugar cookies for the season, Dad suggested I take some to Amanda. (Gotta love that guy, he's always got my back).

Mom and I walked (she wouldn't let me run) across the street and I yelled out "HELLO!" right away as I pulled open the screen door. Mom made me close it, she said you can't just go barging into people's houses. But who wouldn't be thrilled to see me? Anyhow, in just a few seconds, there she was. I said hi and handed her the cookies. She was really happy and she thanked me. Mom gave her some stuff to give to her dad, then I quickly pointed out, "I'm Charlie Bucket." Mom and Amanda laughed, but I think she was charmed because as we were leaving she said, "Bye, Charlie Bucket."

Looks like I'm gonna have to come up with some good excuses for going across the street. Like learn how to work a lawnmower or rake leaves or something. Oh! Maybe I'll offer to teach her how to play tee ball!

If you'll excuse me, I've got some batting practice to attend to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

zaya cheers his old granny up! what a blessing you are...saw the cookies on the counter--glad they went to the "girl" -- what a nice gift!
tee ball -- appropriate for you little man, as you need the whacking outlet.