Friday, January 16, 2009

It's In The Jeans

People are usually quick to point out that I'm a cool kid. But I can't take all the credit. I mean, my family, nuts as they are, have a certain cool factor as well. The queen of them all is my Auntie Rachel. She plays in the marching band , she's a Guitar Hero master and she's one smart cookie (which runs in the family, obviously). Mom says she's the only person that can wear those super-ultra-skinny jeans and still look good. I've never really paid much attention to her pants, I just think she's lots of fun to hang out with.

Last November we took a trip back to Mom's old school, Carson High, where Auntie Rachel goes now. It was exciting because the Colts were playing the Gauchos from Dad's old school, Narbonne. But my favorite part was seeing my Auntie out there on the field playing with the band. She was right up front where everyone could see her, which made it easy for me to point out, "That's my Auntie!" She plays the piccolo now, but Mom says that she's played the flute ever since she was a little kid. She's even played at the Kodak Theater two years in a row! Yes, that Kodak Theater, where they choose a new American Idol every year. I mean, seems to me Auntie is just a few steps away from super stardom.

Lucky for me Auntie remembers where she came from. She came over to spend some time with me while she was still on her winter break from school. Mom, Dad and I took her to Long Beach for some shopping at a "vintage" store and dinner at Super Mex. Then we stopped off at Nana and Papa's house on the way home so we could borrow Uncle Chaka's Guitar Hero game. I needed a real pro to show me how it's done.

When we got home and into our jammies, Auntie went straight for the guitar. I didn't know anyone's fingers could move that fast! She worked on that game all night and the next morning, and she was a lot of fun to watch. In fact, she inspired Dad to pull out the real guitars and the three of us held a jam session. I think that we would make an excellent band. Especially because we've got great hair. Well, at least two of us do...(sorry Dad).

I've gotta get Auntie to come hang out with me more often. Not that I need the help or anything, but having that much coolness around can't hurt, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great pictures---go Rachel! Zaya has a lot of hams to look up to! Rock on!
And we wonder where he gets IT???
nana stel