Monday, September 26, 2005

Let 'em eat cake

Today's post is dedicated to my good buddy and fellow preemie Trenton who turns the big O-N-E this week. As most of you know, Trenty and I go way back, months even. We met shortly after birth and spent a month dorming together in the NICU. Good times.

Anyhow, last Saturday we celebrated with Trenton's family and friends. Man, that guy sure knows how to throw a party (though I'm sure his Mom and Dad helped, at least a little). He picked the perfect sunny, breezy day and he must have known how much I was itching to go to the park. As soon as we got there I kicked my shoes off and headed for the green grass. It was like a dream.

Believe it or not, the day just got better and better. We spread out our blankets in the grass, had some snacks, relaxed with a good book and laughed with our friends. I tried my hardest to get my four teeth into a piece of pizza, but Mom wouldn't have it. She stuffed me full of those Gerber puffed rice things instead.

There were lots of other kids there. Trenton's a pretty popular guy. Mom and I were walking around and I caught a glimpse of a cute girl nearby. She was walking (unassisted, I might add) with her sippy cup. I started walking straight towards her, but for some reason Mom turned us in the opposite direction. Apparently she wasn't getting the hint.


At one point, Dad took me over to this big, colorful thing with kids bouncin' all
around inside. I wasn't too sure about it until I got close enough to grab on, then I was positive that I wanted to have the full experience. Unfortunately, it was Dad's turn to rain on my parade when he told me I was too small. Watch who you're calling small, Daddy-O.

The best, and totally unexpected, part of the day came when Trenton's Mom cut a big piece of cake and sat it right in front of Trenty. I thought for sure this was just a tease and I was cheering for the little guy to grab some frosting before they snatched the cake away. Oh, he got some frosting alright. But the surprise was that everyone let him dig in. They didn't even try to stop him! It was right about this time that I started to think that I haven't been giving this birthday business the full credit it deserves.

Thanks for a great time, Trenton. Way to kick off the weekend. It reminded me that I only have to wait three more weeks for my own bash.

I can feel the frosting on my cheeks already.

No comments: