Monday, August 22, 2005

Gadgets and Gizmos

Being the cute guy that I am, I can always find someone to share their lap with me. People are always clamoring to hold me and if I flash them a little smile, you'd think they had struck gold. But it's a bit more of a rare occasion when I get to snuggle in with my great-grandpa. That's why today was such a special day.
Great-grandpa and I are buddies. That guy really understands me. We play, we laugh, we nap and he tells me stories about great-grandma as a cheerleader in the war of 1812, it's great. What better way is there to spend an afternoon?

But much to my dismay, our bonding time today was invaded by a little fuzzy creature. He just decided that great-grandpa's lap had room for him too, so up he jumped and the next thing I know, I'm face to face with a Gizmo. I was none too pleased, as you can imagine. I mean, sure this Gizmo is cute and all (relatively speaking - remember, I know cute). But I thought it was little rude and assuming of him to just join us without asking first. My time with great-grandpa is precious - take a number, Gizmo.

And apparently it wasn't enough for him to be in my personal space. He had to go and show off, too. I was minding my own business, untying great-grandpa's shoelace, and sure enough, Gizmo goes and grabs the other end. Of course, I think babies who can untie shoes are much more impressive than Gizmos who can untie shoes, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, I was annoyed, to say the least. But I tried to remain diplomatic and refrained from causing a scene. I didn't want to upset great-grandma, she really loves that Gizmo.

After an ongoing tug-of-war, I was just about to make it known that enough was enough when Gizmo decided to focus his attention on great-grandpa's other shoe. I think he figured out that it was really in his best interest to do so. He really wouldn't want to experience the wrath of Zaya. Don't let the adorable face fool you.

When Gizmo was tired of trying to show me up, he jumped back down to the floor and found some other people to play with. To tell you the truth, I was happy he was outta the way. But every now and then, out of the corner of my eye I could see him sneaking back, looking for an opportunity to jump up again. So me and great-gramps had to keep a lookout.
I don't know if Gizmos can read minds, but he seemed to guess that what I was thinking was, "Don't make me use my jedi powers, you ball of fur." And he was right.

No comments: