Friday, August 12, 2005

Mover and a shaker

This has been a week of epiphany for me. I was just doing my normal one day, playing with the hippos, watching the ceiling fan spin, when it hit me (an idea, not the fan). I think I've been a bit too stagnant. I mean, sure I was a preemie, had to develop, all that jazz. But I'm big now, a capable, "can-do" guy. No more sittin' around for me. I'm on the move. I've got places to go and people to see!
So I figured I'd give this crawling thing a try. I've been scooting and rolling around a lot, but crawling is so much more efficient. I can get around faster than scooting and have access to way more things than I do when I'm in my walker. I could get used to this.

Then I realized that crawling really limits me. I'm only able to see things on the ground level. I
needed to elevate. So I decided to find the nearest object to climb. The couch worked fine, it was just tall enough for me to grab on and pull myself up. It was fantastic! I literally had a whole new perspective on things (particularly all the things in the house that I shouldn't be touching - Mom will be so pleased).




Speaking of Mom, I'm not sure how she's handling all of this.
She keeps talking about how fast time goes and how big I'm getting. I mean, I know she's proud and all, but I sense that I'm just advancing too quickly for her.










Today she even gave me a speech about how important it is to be still sometimes and enjoy the little things. I tried to oblige for awhile. I wanted her to think I was in "the zone" so I just stared at my feet. Surprisingly enough, sitting there in the quiet really gave me time to think about what's most important, what I really want.

And what I really want is to get back to that couch.

No comments: